Special Education Teacher
December 16, 2021 | by information
We are looking for teachers to complement our dynamic group of educators. Teachers will be responsible for preparing and implementing rigorous academic instruction while also helping students to develop social-emotional skills. The ideal candidate will be passionate for the teaching profession with an ability to reach out to students and create a relationship of mutual trust. They will know how to engage a class and make learning meaningful for diverse learners. The goal is to help cultivate the students’ interest in education, and be their dedicated ally in the entire process of learning and development.
At Sci High, we are committed to a full-inclusion Special Education model, and our Special Education co-teachers are critical to ensuring the success of students with disabilities in the general education classroom. The Special Education teachers work collaboratively with Exceptional Children’s Services (ECS) staff and general education teachers to support students' academic and social learning as described and outlined in their IEPs.
Job Type: Full-time
As a Special Education Teacher, you are expected to:
Provide Instructional Support
- Given the belief that the inclusive setting is ultimately the most positive way to instruct our students, plan and facilitate accommodations within that setting. Work with the general education co-teacher to negotiate the delivery of instruction to the entire group of students. Ultimately there would be a sharing of delivery after considering the needs of the students.
- Meet with the general education co-teacher on a regular basis to discuss texts, assignments, tests, and projects well ahead of the time for implementation within the classroom.
- Collaborate on grades and behavior expectations for the identified students.
- Lead the planning on meeting small group testing needs of the classroom they are working in, this will including providing the modified tests in a format to suit the needs of the students and securing the space to test in.
- Help coordinate support for students as they move from one course to another (e.g. 10th grade English teacher coordinates with 9th grade English Special Education co-teacher on accommodations for summer assignments).
- Collaborate with the general education co-teacher on assignments, tests, projects, and texts to allow for separate access points to the material, keeping in mind what are the most rigorous yet attainable goals for completion of the work by the students.
- Keep the access points as invisible as possible to preserve the dignity of the students and the integrity of the inclusive classroom.
- Monitor student progress towards IEP goals and graduation progress. Communicate specific performance expectations to students. Help promote students’ independence, positive self-concept, social skills and self-help skills.
- Ensure that documentation is maintained and followed according to district policy and state and federal law.
- Learn new instructional and behavioral methods and techniques. Have thorough knowledge of student educational programs and behavior management guidelines.
- Experience as a Special Education teacher in an inclusion setting.
- Experience collaborating with both Special Education and General Education teachers.
Commitment to the following beliefs:
- Excellent skills communicating with families and advocating for students.
Bachelor's degree in related field
Masters level coursework and/or certification.
Skilled in working with a diverse community
Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- ALL students can learn and prepare themselves for college admissions and success as productive members of society.
- ALL stakeholders -- staff, teachers, students, and parents -- must agree that quality education is their shared responsibility.
- ALL stakeholders must be committed to high-quality standards and expectations of themselves and each other.
- Learning is a process of continuous improvement for ALL stakeholders.
- Effective collaboration and communication are essential to the success of our school.
- Diversity enriches our school community.
- A safe supportive learning environment is critical to our students' achievement.
How to Apply
Submit your resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org