School Front Office Assistant (Bilingual Preferred)
New Orleans Charter Science and Mathematics High School is an open-admission public charter school that prepares all students for college admissions and successful careers. Sci High provides a rigorous high school curriculum with an emphasis in science and math in a supportive environment of learning and respect that prepares students to make informed choices about post-secondary pursuits.
The Front Office Assistant - Bilingual plays a central role in ensuring a welcoming and efficient daily operations of the school front office. In addition to maintaining the school’s administrative system and routines, the Office Assistant functions as the first person of contact for all of the school’s constituents. In this role the Office Assistant must be able to communicate effectively with students, faculty and staff, families, and visitors. Also, they will support our Sci High students, faculty and staff, families, and guests by connecting them to or providing them with appropriate resources.
Responsibilities of the Office Assistant include, but are not limited to:
● Greet and welcome all Sci High students, faculty and staff, families, and visitors to the school. Ensure all students are checked in/out through proper procedures with authorized parents/guardians.
● Sign-in parents/guardians, school partners, and visitors through the electronic system (Ident-a-Kid) and/or a paper system and direct them to the appropriate faculty, staff or place.
● Answer and direct inquiries,emails and correspondence, either in person, email or by phone, to the appropriate person, in either English or in a designated language other than English.
● Assists in maintaining efficient systems: Program the daily bell schedule; maintain information on and answer questions regarding specific school programs, fundraisers, clubs and other school activities.
● Respond to emails and Google Chat in a timely manner. Communicate with Student Services via walkie-talkie, locate students via Power School and intercom system.
● Direct prospective Sci High students and their families about school visits and tours.
● Maintain a clean, organized and professional front office environment.
● Maintain and troubleshoot office equipment as necessary.
● Maintain positive, cooperative, and mutually supportive relationships with the Sci High administration, faculty and staff, students, parents/guardians, Sci High community and representatives of resource agencies within the community
● Manage front office fax machine and mail (sort/distribute mail and deliveries to the appropriate person,opening when appropriate, preparing school mailings, making mail drops, ensuring that mailings are sent in a timely fashion, maintaining postage/stamps for school wide use, etc.).
● Manage the supplies, maintenance and repair schedule of the copy machines.
● Assist Sci High Parent & Family Engagement Specialist with checking in/out and training volunteers.
● Maintain site use of facilities, room reservations and calendars.
● Receive purchase order requests, seek appropriate approvals, purchase supplies as approved & document purchase.
● Oversee inventory and order custodial, maintenance, and office supplies.
● Receive and process school wide orders, and ensure delivery to proper faculty and/or staff members.
● Manage inventory and ordering of office supplies.
● Collect and track student fees, uniform purchases, and all other monies weekly.
● Collect and record deposits from faculty and staff; as well as students for club activities, fundraisers, field trips, and other school-related activities.
● Code invoices and purchases.
● Responsible for forwarding bus requests and changes to the vendor and answering any bus related questions by families.
● Enter bus route information into PowerSchool.
● Additional duties may be assigned
In the Absence of the Registrar/Attendance Clerk
● Verify, collect, and maintain documents (doctor’s notes, etc.) for absences.
● Assist with calling the homes of late and absent students daily; as well as answering calls related to tardies and absences.
● Input absences into PowerSchool.
● Change absence status for students when teachers can no longer access
● Forward monthly attendance records to the Dean of Students.
● Submit documents to Social Worker upon request.
● Ensure compliance, specifically of securing student PII. Assure confidentiality of files is maintained and lock files where appropriate.
● Duty: Maintain vigilant duty posts as assigned and during transitions
● Meetings: participate in faculty meetings: team meetings, professional development, Village Well
● Daily Schedule: Arrive at least 30 minutes before the school day starts and remain at least 30 minutes after classes at the end of every day
● Reinforce school-wide policies as outlined in the Student Handbook with all students
● Proven understanding of confidentiality requirements
● Records management and system knowledge
● Additional duties as required
Experience with the following is required:
● Proficient in speaking, reading and writing in Spanish (preferred)
● Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
● Email and internet computer applications (Especially: Google Drive,Gmail System)
● Modern office methods, procedures, equipment used in a school office (fax, copier, scanners, laminators, telephones, binding machines)
● School office practices and procedures.
● Effectively plan, organize and prioritize work of self and others in a fast-paced school environment.
● Communicate accurately, effectively and courteously both orally and in writing in both English and a designated language other than English (Spanish) to a diverse audience under busy and/or difficult/confidential situations.
● Databases/Student Information System (EnrollNOLA, OneAPP, PowerSchool, Infinite Campus)
● Unwavering commitment to Sci High’s mission, students, parents, families and community.
● Superb personal organization skills to keep on top of deadlines and measures of accountability.
● Demonstrates professional integrity and a commitment to best practices for communicating with students, faculty and staff and families.
● Team player: demonstrates maturity, growth mindset, strong work ethic, follow-through and flexibility.
● Associate’s Degree or Equivalent Experience
Commitment to the following beliefs:
● ALL students can learn and prepare themselves for college admissions and success as productive members of society.
● ALL stakeholders -- staff, teachers, students, and parents -- must agree that quality education is their shared responsibility.
● ALL stakeholders must be committed to high quality standards and expectations -- of themselves and each other.
● Learning is a process of continuous improvement for ALL stakeholders.
● Effective collaboration and communication are essential to the success of our school.
● Diversity enriches our school community.
● A safe supportive learning environment is critical to our students' achievement.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND HAZARDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: This job operates in an office environment, predominantly seated. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copy machines, filing cabinets, and fax machines. The noise level can vary depending upon daily activity but will remain within moderate noise level range. The incumbent has direct and indirect contact with the public. The position requires working with high volume, tight deadlines, being subject to frequent interruptions, and without direct guidance from the supervisor.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the position is continuously required to sit, talk, hear, and use repetitive motions of the wrists, hands, and fingers. The incumbent will frequently stand, walk, carry, reach, grip, and grasp; occasionally stoop, kneel, and squat. The work involves some light physical efforts; frequently exerts up to 10 pounds of force and occasionally exerts up to 20 pounds of force. This position requires near visual acuity sufficient to use a computer screen.
Reports to: Director of Operations