December 16, 2019 | by kdickerson
Teach Carpentry at Sci High (2019-2020)
New Orleans Charter Science and Mathematics High School is an open-admission public charter school that prepares all students for college admissions and successful careers. Sci High provides a rigorous high school curriculum with an emphasis in science and mathematics in a supportive environment of learning and respect that prepares students to make informed choices about post-secondary pursuits.
Sci High is seeking an experienced and dedicated Carpentry Teacher.
The Carpentry Instructor at Sci High will be responsible for providing classroom instruction and practical shop experience which will prepare students for employment in a variety of jobs in the field of carpentry. The instructor will teach courses related to the core skills used by carpenters in residential and commercial settings. This course includes modules involving wall, ceiling, & roof framing, reading blueprints, foundations, and other related topics.
Teachers ensure the academic and social growth of students through rigorous academic instruction, positive relationships with students, and contributions to the Sci High school community.
As a teacher, you are expected to:
- Develop and refine curricula, including a scope and sequence and unit plans for each assigned course.
- Work closely with your instructional coach in order to constantly improve practice
- Coordinate with Exceptional Children's Services to provide appropriate accommodations to students with exceptionalities
- Hold high expectations for each student; behaviorally and academically
- Maintain a rigorous and engaging classroom
- Build positive rapport with students
- Establish and maintain strong communication with all parents
- Develop and participate in initiatives to continually improve and enrich student learning.
An ideal candidate would have the following experiences and qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Appropriate industry-recognized instructor certification (i.e. National Center for Construction Education and Research or other certification)
- Completion of the OSHA Outreach Training Program preferred
- Special Knowledge/Skills:
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written)
- General knowledge of computer systems and software applications
- Three years of experience at the journey or technician level in area of expertise
- Prior instruction experience desired
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Instruct and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and materials, in order to prevent injuries and damage.
- Instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records as required by law, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities in collaboration with basic skills instructor.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates should also have a commitment to the following beliefs:
- ALL students can learn and prepare themselves for college admissions and success as productive members of society.
- ALL stakeholders -- staff, teachers, students, and parents -- must agree that quality education is their shared responsibility.
- ALL stakeholders must be committed to high-quality standards and expectations of themselves and each other.
- Learning is a process of continuous improvement for ALL stakeholders.
- Effective collaboration and communication are essential to the success of our school.
- Diversity enriches our school community.
- A safe supportive learning environment is critical to our students' achievement.
Our hiring process is a rigorous one and typically includes the following steps:
- Initial phone interview
- Campus visit and sample lesson
- Interview with current faculty members
- Interview with administrator
- Reference check
Interested professionals should apply by submitting a cover letter and resume (including references) to email@example.com or at WorkNola.com.